Dr Kerry Beggs – Curriculum Vitae
Employment History (detailed CV available on request)
2009 - present Principal and Director, EnviroBiometry Consulting Pty Ltd (formerly trading as 'EnviroBiometry' and Kerry Beggs Consulting). See Projects page for more information
2017 - present Instructor, She Maps (formerly She Flies; STEM education provider). See She Maps for more information
2015 - 2017 Casual Academic Marker, School of Medical and Applied Sciences, CQU
2011–2014 NQ Regional Environment Manager, Serco Sodexo Defence Services.
2011 Senior Environmental Scientist . SMEC Australia, Townsville.
2009/2010 Guest Lecturer, School of Earth and Environmental Science, James Cook University, Townsville.
2009 Research Officer, Fishing and Fisheries Research Centre, School of Earth and Environmental Science,
James Cook University, Townsville.
2002–2005 Education Officer, CSIRO Science Education Centre, Darwin (2002-03) and Brisbane (2003-05).
2004 Tutor ‘Principles of Wildlife Management’, School of Natural and Rural Systems Management,
University of Queensland, Gatton.
2001–2002 Tutor , ‘Wildlife Management: Issues and Challenges’, Faculty of Science, Information Technology &
Education, NTU*, Darwin.
2001 Research Officer , Bioregional Assessment Unit, Parks and Wildlife Commission, NT. ‘Modelling the distribution
Cooktown Ironwood’ project.
2000 Research Officer , Tropical Savannas CRC, Darwin. ‘Framework for monitoring biodiversity in the rangelands’
2000 Lecturer , ‘Statistical Maths Package’ (TAFE certificate level), Faculty of Science, Information Technology &
Education, NTU, Darwin.
1998–1999 Research Officer , Applied Ecology Research Group, University of Canberra. ‘Pig-nosed turtle project’ and
‘Freshwater fisheries sustainability’ project.
1995–1999 Tutor/Casual Lecturer , Faculty of Applied Science, University of Canberra, in the following courses: Data
Analysis in Science; Science, Environment and Society; Ecology and Biological Diversity II; Quantitative Ecology I;
Quantitative Ecology II; Vegetation and Wildlife Management.
1994–1997 Research Assistant , CRC for Freshwater Ecology, Canberra.
2010 PhD (Science) , Charles Darwin University (Darwin, Australia). Thesis title: ‘Effects of exotic pasture grasses on biodiversity in the Mary River Catchment, Northern Territory.’
1998 BAppSc (Ecology and Environmental Science) . First Class Honours, University of Canberra (Canberra, Australia). Thesis title: Embryonic development of the pig-nosed turtle, Carettochelys insculpta, under constant and fluctuating temperature regimes.
** Awarded the University Medal, 1998, University of Canberra **
Additional qualifications and professional development
- 2020 4WD operation and recovery
- 2018 RePL (Remote Pilot Licence RPAS to 25kg, issued by CASA 09/03/2018)
- 2018 AROC (Aviation Radio Operator Certificate, issued by CASA 21/03/2018)
- 2018 Working Safely Around Aircraft
- 2018 Operate Incendiary Machine from an Aircraft
- 2017 ChemCert (ACDC - application, storage, transport of chemicals; control weeds)
- 2017 First Aid including CPR
- 2017 Blue Card (working with children)
- 2014 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (LLN) (TAE40110)
- 2014 Construction White Card
- 2013 Respond to Wildfire (Equivalent to FM1)
- 2013 Soil Erosion and Sediment Control (2-day course, Townsville City Council). Site Foreman level accreditation.
- 2012 Internal/External Lead Skilled Auditor (ISO 19011) and Environmental Management System Auditor (ISO 14001) (RABQSA AU, RABQSA TL, RABQSA EM) (2012);
- 2011 Accreditation for Modules 1 – 4 of AusRivAS Aquatic Macroinvertebrate Bioassessment Training and Accreditation (QLD)
- 2004 Defensive driving (CSIRO)
- 2002 Statistical modelling and introduction to R Workshop (NTU)
- 2001 4WD Motorbike Certificate (NTU)
- 2000 4WD familiarisation course (NTU)
- 1999 GIS and spatial analysis using Bayesian inference Workshop (NTU).
Awards and Prizes
- 2014 RAAF Base Townsville EMS Committee Achievement Award, 27 November 2014 "for driving sustained environmental performance improvements for Serco Sodexo Defence Services and Defence, from 2011 to 2014."
- 2003 Student travel subsidy , 3rd International Wildlife Management Congress, Christchurch NZ, 1 – 5 December.
- 2002 Best spoken PhD paper , 29th meeting of the Australian Society of Herpetologists, Canberra ACT, July 11 – 15.
- 1999-2002 Australian Postgraduate Award (Industry) PhD Scholarship.
- 2001 Student travel subsidy , Australasian Wildlife Management Society conference, Queenstown NZ, Nov 27 – December 1, 2000 & Dubbo NSW, December 3 – 5.
- 2000 Student travel subsidy , Australian Society of Limnologists conference, Darwin NT, July 8 – 11.
- 1998 University Medal , University of Canberra.
- 1998 Best spoken honours/masters paper , 25th meeting of the Australian Society of Herpetologists, Yungaburra QLD, February 5 – 8.
- 1997 The Eric Best Memorial Medal Prize for the best overall performance at undergraduate level in resource and environmental science.
- 1997 The Royal Australian Institute of Parks and Recreation Prize for the most outstanding student in final year conservation and land management studies.
- 1996 Summer scholarship with the CRCFE, Canberra.
* NTU = Northern Territory University (now known as Charles Darwin University)